Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The price...

A very good friend of mine is an Australian GP who is in charge of a feeding mission in Manila. 2 of the kids in her program died today of malnutrition, they were too late starting to feed them. This world is a place of injustice and misplaced priorities, billions of euros/dollars are being spent on aid and not much seems to be changing. Those children needed the very basics of the Maslow hierarchy: they needed food, clean water, sanitation, a home, parents with an education and a job rather than being second generation on the feeding program...
At the same time we are about to embark on the journey of growth hormone treatment, the cost of which would be astronomical if we had to pay for it ourselves, I think it would be close to about 40,000 EUR a year. What would be the cost of 1 cm of growth, I don't even dare to calculate it... What would be the impact of being - 2 SD on the average height charts growing up as opposed to -3 SD, not expressible in monetary values...

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I think weird things are happening with my computer/server and blogs. Didn't you write a post about Paris? Now I can't find it, but when I went to search for it, I found a couple of other posts that I hadn't seen yet. I think I had asked in the Paris post about how these GH were covered, so you may have answered me, but now I can't find it. Is your insurance paying for all of it? I would be surprised if we could get that kind of coverage here.

    ReplyDelete