Saturday, September 22, 2012

Looking through our window

Fi's favorite spot in our house is to stand in front of our bedroom window. We have huge floor to ceiling windows with a little step-out balcony - pretty silly for the Irish weather, I would have said 2 years ago, the wind blows through the double glazed windows and we freeze to death in the winter (and the autumn and the spring)...
She loves to stand there, she cruises endlessly from one end to the other, it's a good 20-30 steps for her. She loves licking the glass and drawing with her hands on it. She watches the cars at the round-about, the birds, the trees , the dogs, the babies. She watches life.
Not so long ago we would stare through the same window at night, waking up each night, not being able to go back to sleep, worried if our not yet born baby would live. Worried if she would live and have a horrible life, worried how our other children would be impacted. Then once we had the diagnosis, I would lay there at night, trying not to wake my husband thinking if Fi would have seizures, if she would ever speak, if she would have cognitive problems.
And here she stands, chattering away like any other child, but her normality bringing so much more joy to us.
We are back from France, what a whirlwind bizarre day it was. We took the business flights, first one out, last one back. Took the metro, did the whole wining and dining bit... even made it to a park to play - we actually had a fun day...
Meeting with the professor whose pet research interest has been treating Fi's exact HCH mutation since the 90s was equally weird. There I was sitting across him with my child who has a rare condition that can't be treated and he goes on to tell me how he has been treating children since the 90s and how the GH treatment can help with some growth and with some of the disproportion. He says that since he published in the Journal of Pediatrics, he now sees a new HCH family every week.
Fi can get the treatment if we want to, it's only for us to decide if we go down this route, if we seek a second opinion and a third one (knowing myself).
I am astonished by humans' adaptability, I was raised up to believe that the worst thing that can happen to you, is to  have a sick child. Here I am, a year later, and I have hope for my daughter and I am actually happy... We are weird creatures, throw us on a desert island and we will thrive, unfreakingbelievable... And the mothers I have met in this year. We should run countries, the world would sure be a better place if people who have this much energy and compassion for others would be in charge...

5 comments:

  1. Herring you talk of a time when you were pregnant worrying I'm right there in that place now scared and worried sick your daughter doing so well gives me so much hope my son has a chance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Autumn, thank you for all your comments, I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I am absolutely swamped with work since our trip to Paris last week.
    How many weeks are you now? You mentioned being told your baby would have achondroplasia at 16 weeks, how is the pregnancy going so far? You may also send me a private e-mail on tiny.hypo@gmail.com if you don't want to comment here. I encourage you to check out the blogs of all the parents whose kids have achon, Jennifer's third son has achon and honestly he is the most adorable boy EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 17 weeks now which is crazys feels like its been at least month with all the thoughs and worries but guess its only been eight days I gotta go back to the doc tomarrow. I've read so much about how delivery and after delivery with a achon infant and then how not many docs really know about this kind of baby and I'm super nervous worried my doc may not really know enough to help my baby survive I read about how u tested one of fis doc with questions u already knew the answers to thought about that but then I worried where would I go from there if I'm right and she don't? She's so young and this is so rare I highly doubt she ever delivered a baby like mine before.

      Delete
    2. Hi Autumn, if your child really does have achondroplasia, delivery is normally completely straight forward and very few achon kids need much help after being born. No doubt you have read a lot and know this by now. The one thing I will say is that it is possible but would be quite uncommon for achondroplasia do be spotted so early on in pregnancy. have you considered getting an amnio done to confirm the diagnosis? I know lot of people wouldn't do it because of the potential risk of miscarriage, but it is an option to consider. Would you not be able to change doctors? I really don't know that much about different US insurance options, but of you post on POLP people will give you a ton of good advice and they are in the US... You are doing an amazing job reading up and educating yourself now.

      Delete