Friday, December 21, 2012

Here we go again

I knew this would happen so it wasn't a shock. Dr Pauli couldn't see a light reflex at the end of October when we were there and I wasn't so sure sometimes if Fi could hear well. By mid November it was pretty clear that she couldn't hear well at all. She promptly failed her hearing test at the end of Nov, fluid on boht ears, hearing at 45 dB. We saw the ENT early Dec and we are just waiting for the surgery date in January. We will go for another set of regular tubes, I have done lots of reading on both T-tubes and titanium tubes and wouldn't have felt too comfortable doing either of them instead, thankfully the ENT agreed.
I want to copy here what Dr Pauli recommended to do as the guidance seems to have changed somewhat compared to what he told us last year: "Compared with children with achondroplasia, individuals with hypochondroplasia have a much more variable course of middle ear dysfunction, it seems. That means that there is no strong argument for using either collared button tubes vs. longer lasting T-tubes."

I may seem to be very matter of fact about this, and I suppose I am, over the last year and a half medical issues and having to do research about them has become part of my every day life. I try not to give in to the sadness that the poor chicken probably hasn't heard us well for the last 2 months and it might be another month before her surgery is scheduled, that is 3 months out of her speech development during this crucial time... At the same time, we couldn't have watched her more closely than with audiology visits every 3 months...

I think what really shocked me was that my eldest has fluid in her ears again, but more on that topic another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment