Thursday, December 27, 2012

Will Fi have a successful life?

I suppose the question is a rather ambiguous one as I would have to define success first and if I could define the term, I sure wouldn't feel as unhappy with myself as I do half of the time, or I may feel a lot more unhappy with myself, we will never know...
Anyway, George said last night that he hoped in 20 years we feel that Fi's life is worthwhile. I realize that any discussion about anyone's life having value is a real difficult one, a bit like the one about success, except involving a human being's life...

It's rare that George opens up about the pain that he aches for Fi; this is his way of dealing with things and I respect that. For the most part he just showers her in his love and adoration which comes to him so much more naturally than using appropriate words for painful dilemmas and dissecting every emotion and thought relentlessly and heartlessly until nothing other than "reality" can stand.  "Reality" considered as objective as it can be in anyone's subjective world of course. I also won't criticize a guy who has a masters in cyber-security about his choice of words, we would be fighting all the time...I am practical like that if I am not on a low-carb diet.

I know that we will feel that her life is valuable, we already do and that won't be taken away form us. Whether or not a young adult would ever think if they life is worth living is a completely different story, one can be perfectly healthy to feel lonely and/or worthless. We will be the solid family foundation that every child needs. She will have a loving mum and dad and sisters who will argue with her all the time. She will love books and sports and arts and dancing as we all do... Insha'Allah.

As we were talking I realized why George didn't have this mental image of a successful child, he hasn't met Annie and Elaine, he hasn't met Chandler and Cathe and all the others... I may have spent countless hours reading other people's stories and exchanging e-mails with "strangers", but without me realizing, they changed what I believe about Fi for good. So I have told him all while he was falling asleep, because I am long-winded like that...
I also put a practical spin on it, so he can do something as he is practical as any binary guy is, I asked him to start to take Fi swimming once a week as the other 2 would have started going to the pool around this age, probably a bit older, but it doesn't matter.
It's crucial that she gets into a sport that she can do well, and it's crucial that he sees that he can do that for her so he won't be like Tiffanie Didonato's sweet dad, fixing everything. I must remember to write about that book...

No comments:

Post a Comment